2021 Board of Directors
Are you a member of the Roulant? Would you like to further your involvement in the Roulant as an administrator and join the Board of Directors? Submit your application to run for election at our next Annual General Meeting (AGM) on Thursday March 25, 2021!
During the AGM, members of the Roulant – that is, anyone who has been a client, volunteer, staff member or donor within the past 12 months – will elect members to the Roulant Board, the governing body responsible for our overall-policy making. Taking part in the Roulant’s governance is an exciting and impactful way to engage with your community.
Applications must be received by March 4, 2021, at 12pm.
What does the Board do?
The Board is a group of individuals who are legally responsible for overall governance. Generally speaking, staff members are responsible for day-to-day operations and decision making, while the Board provides leadership, direction and oversight through, for example:
- The overseeing of long-term strategic plans and the development of organizational policies
- Making some of the bigger decisions such as approving the budget
- Supervising the Executive Director
The Roulant has what is often called a “Collective Board” – this means that while the staff and Board have distinct roles, they work together as much as possible as a unified team.
Key qualities for candidates
- 18 years or older
- Able to serve a 2-year term (non negotiable) and make the necessary time commitment
- Possess a functional comprehension of both French and English
- Possess the skills and expertise needed to address this year’s Board priorities
Clients, volunteers, staff, donors, neighbours, and friends are all invited to run.
Key features of a strong Santropol Roulant Board
- Alignment: Board members are an important part of the team. As the holders of the mission, it is vital that directors understand our work, culture and aspirations.
- Diversity: Diversity of thought and lived experience is at the heart of the Roulant. Santropol Roulant’s board aims to represent our community by expressing its rich tapestry of voices. People of all ethnicities, religions, gender identities, gender expressions and abilities are encouraged to apply and share their strength.
- Time Commitment: Santropol Roulant Board members are very engaged, and are expected to attend one meeting per month, participate on committees and working groups outside of regular Board meetings, attend events, and have a visible presence amongst staff, clients and other volunteers. The estimated time commitment is 5-8 hours per month, depending on what the Board is working on and the load of the committee(s) the member sits on.
- Stability: It can take time for a Board (like any team) to come together and be productive. It is therefore important to have Board members who intend to fulfill their two-year term.
- Key skills: A strong Board has members with the range of skills and experiences that are needed to make informed decisions.
The board is seeking people with experience in:
- Law (priority)
- Food Security
- Knowledge/experience in health and social services
Note: Sitting on the Board is only one way to participate in the activities of the Roulant! If you are interested in the big picture and governance of the organization, this might be the role for you. If you are more interested in contributing to specific activities, there may be other volunteer opportunities that would be more suitable.
Committing to be a board member is a big and exciting responsibility. If you want to explore whether your profile is aligned with the needs and role of the Board, or for more information, feel free to email our Executive Director Pier, or call at 514-284-9335.