Santrovélo is a do-it-yourself community bike shop associated with and supported by Santropol Roulant. Our mission is to empower community members and promote active transportation, cycling safety, and eco-sustainability through bike repair. Our volunteer mechanics provide knowledge and access to tools in an enthusiastic, respectful, and inclusive safe space.
SantroVélo is a place of learning, so we won’t fix your bike for you like at a regular bike shop. Instead, the volunteers will teach, guide, and support you as you learn to fix your bike and use the tools yourself.
Return to Activities
Santrovelo returns to activities by bringing the shop outside to continue in open air. We operate rain or shine.
We will be doing one-on-one appointments outside our workshop. Our volunteer mechanics are available to assist you in your repairs. Our toolkit includes the usual necessities for bike maintenance, but we have had to make some minor changes regarding what we are able to offer outside the shop.
To book an appointment please check that your repair falls under our list of offered services and if so, fill out our pre-visit form (sent via eail) and we will get back to you to confirm.
If you’re not sure how to tell what’s wrong, try reading Diagnostic Guide and describe the problem as best you can in our pre-visit screening.
As the ability to use the shop regularly has been reduced, our membership policy and fees have been adjusted to account for that. Currently, anyone can book an appointment and work on their bike and receive assistance to the best of volunteers’ abilities during their slot. At the end of the slot, we charge for the parts and offer you the ability to leave a payment amount that reflects the help received in lieu of the membership fee.
- Broken / worn out cables and housing replacement
- Cleaning and Lubricating the Chain
- Replacing the chain
- Replacing Brake Pads/adjusting brake
- Loose pedals
- Loose Headsets
- Gear Indexing/drive train adjustments
- Minor wheel truing
- Light general tune-up/safety check + tightening of miscellaneous bolts/screws loose on the bike.
- Adjustments of axle cones in wheel hubs.
- Some repairs may be limited due to lack of new/used parts
Services not offered
- We are not equipped to service disc brakes or high end road bikes.
- We will also not be offering help with flats. At this time we are giving priority to other types of repairs since flat repairs can be done using the tools provided at the roadside tool stations or with flat repair kits sold at any local bike shop.Find a station close to you
How to Fix a Flat
Shop Services and Parts
We currently are unable to accept bike or parts donations at the workshop.
Additionally, the services we offered to members in the shop such as the ability to buy new or used parts, use of tools, and recycling are unavailable.
Join us as a VolunteerWould you like to join Santrovélo team as a volunteer and help community members fix their bikes? Then contact us by filling out this form.
Already a volunteer with us? Here are our protocols in place.