Get ready to immerse yourself in a mindset of gratitude and care, and to embrace uncertainty, nuance and imperfection. We’re a small organization with lots of activity, creativity and big ideas, and we’re focused on connecting people, authentic relating and living our values as best we can.
The Roulant treats people as gifts and takes a holistic and welcoming approach to our community of members. Our work culture is process-driven and all about embracing change. You can expect a polyvalent and open approach to all our work. It can be challenging at times, but we’re fortunate to have a workplace filled with a lot of love and care, and to be surrounded by a network of supporters that champion this effervescent and rich community project.
Imagine being in charge of the kitchen and leading a squad of volunteers to prepare and deliver 100 personalized meals daily, and be part of a super dynamic Meals-on-Wheels team. Things move all the time at the Roulant, there is never a dull moment, and we couldn’t do it without you!
The Roulant is looking for a community cook to prepare meals for seniors or people living in situations of social isolation for a variety of reasons.
Under the direction of the Kitchen Programs Manager, you will have to coordinate a brigade of volunteers to prepare a hundred personalized meals daily according to the preferences and dietary restrictions of our customers. You can also put your own spin on the Roulant’s recipes and kitchen processes, in collaboration with the kitchen team.
- Working under the supervision of Aidan the kitchen programs manager;
- Coordinating a team of kitchen volunteers for our regular Meals-on-Wheels service;
- Preparing customized and creative meals on the fly for clients with food restrictions;
- Processing and preserving food for regular service use as part of our food cycle program;
- Assisting with other kitchen programs in areas like workshops, canning, and catering.
- Passion for cooking, working in a kitchen and for using food to create social change;
- Experience with cooking for large numbers of people on a daily basis;
- Experience and excitement about working with volunteers from diverse backgrounds;
- Experience creating menus appropriate for people with specific dietary needs an asset;
- Understanding of food security issues in Montreal and nutritional needs of seniors;
- Attention to detail, especially in relation to cleanliness and hygiene;
- Comfortable working in English and French, other languages an asset;
- Excellent interpersonal and team work skills;
- Excited about working in a collaborative and dynamic work environment;
- At ease with working under pressure while maintaining a supportive atmosphere for volunteers.
The Pay and Perks
The starting wage for this part-time role (20hrs/week) is between $16.38 – $17.20 depending on experience and education according to the remuneration policy. All jobs at Santropol Roulant, whether seasonal, temporary, permanent, part or full-time, offer staff complementary benefits in addition to annual inflation-based increases including one week off per year for a holiday of choice, in addition to regular vacation time, paid time off for personal reasons, personal equipment allowances for some staff, and quarterly cash transfers to support wellness, leisure and investment. We also have leftovers in the community fridge sometimes, and all the dessert you can eat (sometimes even brownies or chocolate chips cookies!)
Santropol Roulant is committed to going beyond non-discrimination in our hiring processes. We want to create a welcoming environment that allows all people to show up as themselves and contribute their best without harassment, microaggressions and exclusion. We strive to create a workplace where members from marginalized groups can contribute their talent and skills to our work. Join us in connecting people of difference, from all generations, using the power of community care, youth engagement and wholesome food.
The work takes place in the kitchen in an environment where there is noise, heat and handling of sharp objects, and where the exposure to risks is medium. The job requires standing, squatting, bending over, lifting weights up to 25 pounds (12 kg) and going up and down stairs.
Fill out the online application form and submit your letter or interest and resume today! Make sure to mention the Community Cook position. Application deadline is April 29, 2021 for a start date around May 17.