Do you feel passionate about food security and social inclusion? Do you have a strong vision for a greener, more inclusive future? Are you interested in supporting your Montreal community in a great new way? If so, have we got an opportunity for you!
In the weeks leading up to our Annual General Meeting, which will be held on Thursday, April 21st, 2022 (more details coming soon), we once again find ourselves at the exciting time of the year where we get to invite you, our dear members, to come forth and submit your candidacy for a place on our Board of Directors.
What is the Board of Directors?
The Board of Directors is a team of Santropol Roulant members who are legally responsible for the direction of our organization. Put differently, this means that our team of staff handles the daily operations, while the Board oversees things like big-picture planning (strategic plans) and decision-making (approving the budget). Our Board operates in a highly collaborative way, working closely with the staff at the Roulant. Still want to know more? Read on here.
Meet the current Board of Directors
On Thursday March 3rd at 6pm, we are hosting a little video conference 5@7 during which you will be able to ask all your questions about what it means to be involved on the board to current members. The 5@7 will be a very informal hang out that is not a required step for you to be a candidate, and that doesn’t commit you to anything. Sign-up by sending a quick email to Tara who will share with you the necessary information to access the event.
Am I eligible to submit a candidacy to the Board?
You can nominate yourself as a candidate to the board if you:
- Are 18 years or older;
- Are able to serve a 2-year term (non negotiable) and make the necessary time commitment;
- Possess a functional comprehension of both French and English;
- Possess the skills and expertise needed to address this year’s Board priorities, and
Whether you’re a new or longtime friend of the Roulant, we would love to receive your application for a position on our Board of Directors!
What makes a strong Board?
- Alignment: Board members are an important part of the team. As the holders of the mission, it is vital that directors understand our work, culture and aspirations.
- Diversity: Diversity of thought and lived experience is at the heart of the Roulant. In order to best support the Roulant, our Board needs to represent our community by expressing its rich tapestry of voices. People of all ethnicities, religions, gender identities, gender expressions and abilities are encouraged to apply and share their strengths.
- Commitment: The Board plays a big role in the Santropol Roulant community, and it takes a sizeable time commitment to make this happen. Board members are expected to attend one meeting month, engage in additional committees and working groups, attend events, and have a visible presence in our organization with staff, clients, and volunteers. This translates to about 10 hours per month, depending on ongoing projects and committee needs.
- Stability: Like any team, it takes time to find the best ways to form a productive team. This is why it’s important for Board members to honour their two-year commitment.
- Key skills: Difference makes us stronger, so a great Board has members with different skills and experiences. This helps our Board make informed decisions and plan a stronger future for the Roulant. The following areas of expertise are particularly valuable to our Board:
- Finances or accounting;
- JEDI (Justice, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion);
- Health and social services;
- Human resources;
- Urban or peri-urban agriculture.
Keep in mind that sitting on the Board is just one of many ways to get involved in the Roulant! If you are interested in deepening your connection with our community but feel that the Board isn’t quite right for you, check out how you can support our organization through volunteering or becoming a donor!
If you are interested in joining our Board of Directors, make sure to apply by Friday March 11th, 2022 at 8am!
Committing to be a board member is a big and exciting responsibility. If you want to explore whether your profile is aligned with the needs and role of the Board, or for more information, feel free to email our Executive Director Pier, or call at 514-284-9335.