Small Scale Gardening Workshop (Now offered in English! Don’t miss your chance!)
Come to meet Quebec’s pionneer in small scale bio-intensive farming!
During this 2-hour long training, the urban gardener will learn all the tricks and tips of a professional farmer while those who are willing to start their own small scale commercial farming operation will find enough inspiration to get started!
Jean-Martin Fortier has more than 10 years of experience as an organic vegetable grower. He is the founder and co-owner of Les Jardins de la Grelinette, a well-known farm in Québec for its intensive methods of production. Jean-Martin as recently published a book (in french) where he details how he and his wife manage more than 1 acrea and half, while using no tractor. His book, le jardinier-maraîcher, explains the methods, tools, and horticultural techniques, which can turn a market garden into a viable small farm. More information on Jean-Martin Fortier and his book can be found at this website:www.lejardiniermaraicher.com.
For a video of Jean-Martin’s farm, click here: http://vimeo.com/46202406
During this training, Jean-Martin will present most of the tools and techniques he uses to make diversified bio-intensive vegetable production possible and productive! In more details, he’ll show us how to:
- Set-up a garden using permaculture design;
- Cultivate on permanent raised beds using a no-till approach;
- Improve weeding using the best manual tools available;
- Efficiently fight against plant diseases and garden pests;
- Extend the gardening season by protecting your plants from cold temperatures using passive structures;
- Use alternative machinerie (vs tractor) to work the soil.
A question period will follow his presentation.
Whether you have a commercial gardening project, a community or collective garden, or a garden plot at home: this training is for you!
- WHEN? Wednesday, November 28th from 6:30 to 8:30pm. The training will include a visit of Santropol Roulant’s rooftop garden.
- WHERE? Santropol Roulant, 111 Roy St.E, 2nd floor
- COST? 15$ per person.
**This training is also a fundraising event for Santropol Roulant’s urban agriculture activities. Thanks for your support!**
For more info or if you have questions, please contact Noémie à 514-284-9335 or noemie(at)santropolroulant.org.