Are you a member of the Roulant? Would you like to further your involvement in the Roulant as an administrator and join the Board of Directors? Submit your application for the election at our next Annual General Meeting (AGM) (Thursday March 26th, 2015, starting at 5:30pm)!
During the AGM, members of the Roulant – that is, anyone who has been a client, volunteer, staff member or donor within the past 12 months – will elect members to the Roulant Board of Directors, the governing body responsible for our overall-policy making. Taking part in the governance of a community organization is a unique and wonderful opportunity.
Applications must be received by February 28th, 2015, at noon!
If you’d like to submit your candidature, we’re looking for individuals who are:
- Imaginative and committed
- 18 years or older
- Able to serve a 2-year term
- Possess a functional comprehension of both French and English.
Clients, volunteers, staff, donors, neighbours, and friends are all invited to run. As a youth-led organization, Santropol Roulant encourages young people under 30 to apply.
More information about the Board of Directors
Charities in Canada are governed by a voluntary Board of Directors. This group of individuals is legally responsible for overall governance.
Generally speaking, staff members are responsible for day-to-day operations and decision making, while The Board provides leadership, direction and oversight through, for example, the development of long-term strategic plans and organizational policies.
They are also responsible for making some of the bigger decisions such as approving the budget and supervising the Executive Director.
The Roulant has what is often called a “Collective Board” – this means that while the staff and Board have distinct roles, they work together as much as possible as a unified team.
Some of the key features of a strong Santropol Roulant Board are:
- Alignment: Board members are an important part of the team. As the holders of the mission, it is vital that directors understand our work, culture and aspirations.
- Diversity: We value having a Board that represents the diversity of perspectives of our whole community. We try to have a balance of people of different ages, races, genders, languages, cultures and life experiences.
- Time Commitment: Santropol Roulant Board members are very engaged, and are expected to attend one meeting per month, participate on committees and working groups, attend events, and have a visible presence amongst staff, clients and other volunteers.
- Stability: It can take time for a Board (like any team) to come together and be productive. It is therefore important to have Board members who intend to fulfill their two-year term and also who have experience on the Roulant Board.
- Key skills: A strong Board has members with the range of skills and experiences that are needed to make informed decisions. In 2015, the following areas of expertise have been identified as most needed by the Board of Directors of Santropol Roulant:
- Human resources
- Social enterprise
- Healthcare or social work
Ready? Click here to submit your application online, and here for a PDF version of the nomination form!
For more information, email current Board member Vani, or staff member Laurence, or call at 514-284-9335.
Thanks in advance for you engagement and see you at the AGM!