Do you have experience in farming? Are you looking for a job that aligns with your values for community engagement and sustainable agriculture? Well, step right up! Santropol Roulant has partnered with Agriculture Canada to offer a four (4) month internship at our farm in Senneville via the Youth Employment Skills Program, designed for youth seeking barriers to employment—sometimes finding work is challenging, and this program is designed with this in mind!
As part of the Roulant’s mission of building a food system that is healthy, just, and sustainable, Santropol Roulant farms a three-acre plot of agriculturally zoned and organically certified land in Senneville. The farm was co-founded in 2012 by Santropol Roulant and Howard Reitman. It can be found on the western tip of the Island of Montreal.This land supports the production of fresh produce for our kitchen programs and our organic baskets. Initiatives such as our solidarity baskets and meals-on-wheels contribute to making organic produce accessible to all, regardless of socio-economic status, level of mobility, or degree of autonomy. The farm also plays an important role in training the next generation of farmers. Every summer, we hire passionate young farmers. We also educate Montrealers on the importance of organic and local agriculture through our events like the Community Farm Day.
- Transplanting seedlings and direct seeding;
- Setting up and operating irrigation equipment;
- Weeding, pest control, staking, pruning, and thinning;
- Harvesting and conditioning vegetables by hand;
- Participating in, and then leading community tours and groups of children at the farm;
- Supporting volunteers’ participation in the work at the farm;
- Inform farm manager of crop progress or issues.
- Interested in learning about farming;
- Desire to work collaboratively and with a team;
- Excited about working with the land, doing physical labour;
- Ability to work independently and take initiative;
- Comfortable working outside in variable weather conditions;
This is a full-time 4-month position starting as soon as possible, with a weekly schedule running from Monday to Friday and an hourly wage of $13.05 for 40 hours/week.
We are currently seeking candidates with skills and interest in farming to help us support our farm team in their delivery of our organic basket program. This internship begins in mid-August and finishes at the end of November 2019. To qualify, you must be a Canadian citizen, thirty (30) years or younger when you started the internship. Participants must also be unemployed, underemployed or a student. If you have interest, experience and meet the funding criteria, we’d love to hear from you! Apply now by filling out an application form online, mentioning your interest in the Fall Farm Internship.
The application deadline is August 11, 2019.