As announced in our previous newsletter, we’re hiring kitchen help! Are you a whiz in the kitchen? Are you a Canadian citizen under 30? Do you love community, food, sustainability and seniors?
In partnership with Young Canada Works, we’re looking for a full-time (30 hours per week) Community Cook in our Meals-on-Wheels program for the fall, and we’re looking to have someone sooner than later. Could it be you?
In January, the job will go down to part-time permanently (20 hours per week), so if you’re planning on working over the Holidays before heading back to school, this opportunity could be perfect for you 😉
Key Elements of the Job
- Working under the supervision of the kitchen manager;
- Coordinating a team of kitchen volunteers for our regular meals on wheels service;
- Preparing customized and creative meals on the fly for clients with food restrictions;
- Processing and preserving food for regular service use as part of our food cycle program;
- Assisting with other kitchen programs in areas like workshops, canning, and catering.
Interests, Skills and Experience
- Passion for cooking, working in a kitchen and for using food to create social change;
- Experience with cooking for large numbers of people on a daily basis;
- Experience and excitement about working with volunteers from diverse backgrounds;
- Experience creating menus appropriate for people with specific dietary needs an asset;
- Understanding of food security issues in Montreal and nutritional needs of seniors;
- Attention to detail, especially in relation to cleanliness and hygiene;
- Comfortable working in English and French, other languages an asset;
- Excellent interpersonal and team work skills;
- Excited about working in a collaborative and dynamic work environment;
- At ease with working under pressure while maintaining a supportive atmosphere for volunteers.
Additional Details on the Opportunity
The position will be paid at a rate of $14.60 per hour and includes a paid lunch hour and a quarterly wellness benefit.
We’ll be accepting applications until October 31, 2019 at 9am, however we’re hoping to place someone sooner than later.
Fill out the online application form and submit your letter or interest and resume today! Make sure to mention the Assistant Cook position.
As an organization that works to break social and economic isolation and bring people together across social barriers, Santropol Roulant recognizes that people who experience structural oppression and marginalization have a lot to offer and are therefore strongly encouraged to apply. Our primary office space is step-free and has an accessible washroom. Come as you are and let’s break social isolation together!