They say that the kitchen is the heart of the Roulant. It’s where fresh ingredients that have grown on our farm, in our garden, or on our rooftop garden converge to be transformed into meals by a team of volunteers! The kitchen is also where care is brought to tailor our meals to the individual needs of our client community. The kitchen is an ideal place to bond across generations and to form a close-knit community..
As a Community Cook, you’ll coordinate volunteers, prepare meals, assist with food preservation and storage, bring your colour to our Meals-on-Wheels program and more!
- Coordinates a team of kitchen volunteers for our regular meals on wheels service;
- Orients volunteers to our practices to ensure quality and timely meal delivery;
- Prepares customized and creative meals on the fly for clients with food restrictions;
- Processing and preserving food for regular service use as part of our food cycle program;
- Upholds guidelines to keep the workspace hygienic, food safe and ergonomically safe;
- Assists with other kitchen programs in areas like workshops, preservation, and events.
- Some education (1-2 years) or course work in culinary arts, commercial or industrial kitchens or other food services OR a combination of experience, education and training equivalent
- Knowledge of cooking, food preservation, volunteer coordination and facilitation
- Ability to express ideas clearly in oral communications, bilingually in both French and English.
- Ability to follow instructions and meet deadlines
- Artistic and creative ability an asset
THE PAY AND PERKS
The wage for this part-time permanent role (21-28 hours per week) is $16.63 – $17.20 per hour according to candidate experience in accordance with our remuneration policy. All jobs at Santropol Roulant, whether seasonal, permanent, part or full-time, offer staff complementary benefits in addition to annual inflation-based increases, regular vacation time, paid time off for personal reasons, a collective health insurance plan, personal equipment allowances for some staff, and quarterly cash transfers to support leisure and investments. We also have leftovers in the community fridge sometimes and all the dessert you can eat (sometimes even brownies or cheesecake).
Santropol Roulant is committed to going beyond non-discrimination in our hiring processes: we want to create a welcoming environment that allows all people to show up as themselves and contribute their best without harassment, microaggressions and exclusion. We strive to create a workplace where members from marginalized groups can contribute their talent and skills to our work. Join us in connecting people of difference, from all generations, using the power of community care, youth engagement and wholesome food.
The work takes place in the kitchen in an environment where there is noise, heat and handling of sharp objects, and where the exposure to risks is medium. The job requires standing, squatting, bending over, lifting weights up to 25 pounds (12 kg) and going up and down stairs.
Submit your letter or interest and resume today on our platform! Application deadline is October 21, 2021, with a start date for the first week of November, however we’ll be accepting applications until this posting is marked as closed.