We are happy to bring you our third recipe in the new series Recipes from the Roulant! These monthly recipes allow you to get to know the different kitchen-related activities of our organization.
In this post, we share with you a recipe from our spring catering menu: Rhubarb cake!
Santropol Roulant is pleased to offer a catering service straight from our community kitchen. We place a special emphasis on using healthy, local and organic ingredients, and prepare everything with care. In addition, as part of our auto-finance initiatives, all profits from our catering service are reinvested into other Roulant projects such as our Meals-on-Wheals program. Find our more about our service to see if it can cater to your needs!
Rhubarb cake recipe
Recipe adapted from ricardo.ca
Preparation: 30 min Cooking: 1h Servings: 8
1/2 cup (125ml) unsalted butter
1 cup (250 ml) of sugar
1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking soda
1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
2 cups (500 ml) flour
2 cups (500 ml) fresh or frozen rhubarb (if frozen thaw and drain)
A pinch of salt
1 cup (250 ml) milk
1/4 cup (60 ml) of sugar
1 teaspoons (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 ºF. Butter a 20 cm (8 in) baking dish.
- In a bowl, beat together egg, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer or whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- In another bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add egg mixture alternating with milk. Add rhubarb and combine. Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle over top of cake.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for about 1 hour.