Bequests: How will you keep your love going?

Fundraising, Planned Giving

You, the Roulant community, are profoundly generous in many ways. The team at Santropol Roulant has so appreciated your creativity and flexibility in supporting your community, as well as the increased understanding of the need for sustainable, mission-based funding. One of the many ways that you can financially support the Roulant in a deeply impactful way is through leaving a gift in your will. 

Thinking about what you want your lasting impact to look like can be overwhelming, but you can make a contribution to Santropol Roulant through your will without using any of the resources that you need now or taking away from the future of your loved ones. The Canadian government has created some of the best tax incentives in the world to encourage giving to charity, especially from your estate. Even 1% of your estate will result in important food systems change, while still leaving 99% for family and friends. Try this simple legacy calculator today to see what that percentage will look like. 

With some planning, your will can help you to build the world that you want to see. Your estate is likely to receive a significant tax bill, but a charitable gift will reduce, and in some cases even eliminate, the taxes owed, while leaving the same amount of money to heirs. The Roulant is working in partnership with Will Power (who gives you the option to contribute anonymously) this year, and our team is available to you discuss to how to most efficiently manage your assets. We chose to collaborate with Will Power in large part because of our shared vision of educating our community on the important social impacts of donor engagement.

There are different options to explore if you are interested in leaving a gift in your will that would make a lasting positive impact on food security and social inclusion:

A gift of cash

You can designate a specific dollar amount, or percentage of the residue of your estate to give to Santropol Roulant. This is called a ‘bequest’ and is the most common way to leave a gift in your will. 

A gift of securities

If you own publicly listed securities, donating them to Santropol Roulant will have significant tax advantages. Your estate will receive a greater tax benefit (a donation receipt to help reduce taxes owed), plus the elimination of taxes you would have normally had to pay on capital gains. 

Registered funds like RRSPs, RRIFs, or TFSAs

You can donate whatever is left over from your RRSP, RRIF, or TFSA to Santropol Roulant. Naming the Roulant as the beneficiary of your registered funds is a flexible way to give and is as simple as filling out your fund provider’s beneficiary form, which you can update any time. 

A gift of life insurance

You can name Santropol Roulant as the beneficiary of your life insurance policy. If you do not currently have a life insurance policy, you can purchase one and transfer its ownership to Santropol Roulant. When you transfer ownership, the premium payment will be treated as a donation and you will receive an immediate donation receipt to apply against your current tax bill. 

We continue to be inspired by the love that you feed your community and your commitment to helping us provide social services while fostering social change. We would love to continue the conversation about how your generosity towards the community can extend far beyond your time on this earth. Click here for more information on how Santropol Roulant uses gifts in wills and to get connected with a financial advisor through Will Power. Start conversations today with your advisor and Melanie about how to plan your legacy.